Friday, December 2, 2011

the cake is a lie.

The first time I encountered "the cake is a lie" meme was in the discussion with the SPURS class.  While knowing what the meme meant wasn't too important at that time, I made a mental note to look it up later.  Of course, I forgot until I saw a guy wearing this shirt on campus a few weeks later:
This was finally enough to convince me that I was behind the times and needed to figure out what this meme meant.  So, I then looked up the explanation and found that the meme's origins were from a video game but that its meaning had gone far beyond that.  Now, the term is meant to convey that someone is chasing an unreachable goal. Personally, I feel that staying up to date on all the different memes is pretty unattainable itself.

1 comment:

  1. Finding out that this means that the goal is unattainable reminds me of having cake and eating it too. Do you think it could possibly be commenting on a phrase like this? That of which is also impossible or "unattainable", having and eating the cake. Interesting fact, in french having your cake and eating it too translates to "Having a drunk wife and a full bottle of wine".

    ReplyDelete